A co-op is a business that is used by its members. It’s a simple concept, with profound effects for people, communities and the economy.
Each co-op is unique, but thousands of co-ops around the world have the Seven Cooperative Principles in common:
- Voluntary & Open Membership
- Democratic Member Control
- Economic Participation
- Autonomy & Independence
- Education, Training & Information
- Cooperation among Cooperatives
- Concern for the Community
Be a Part of the Discussion About Co-ops!
Check out A Discussion Course on Cooperatives: A Manual for Community Self-directed Education in our book department, located in the back of the store, near the Co-op Café
Informative essays and articles to get you thinking about:
- cooperative history
- cooperatives around the world
- creating a cooperative future
- legal aspects of consumer cooperatives, and more!
Links to Co-Op’s Around the Country
Participate in co-ops where you live, work and travel!
Don’t see a link to a cooperative you are familiar with? Email us to request it be added to our list!
Co-op Umbrella Organizations
National Telecommunications Cooperative Association
National Association of Housing Cooperatives
East End Food Co-op
7516 Meade Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15208