ENDS POLICY STATEMENT
(The Co-op’s Mission Statement, approved by Board of Directors on 1/21/2013):
The East End Food Co-op exists to enhance the physical and social health in our community. To these ends, we will create:
- A sustainable member-owner business open to everyone
- An ethical and resilient food infrastructure
- A vibrant, dynamic community of happy, healthy people
- A creative vision to transform the future
The purpose of our return policy is to promote customer satisfaction while setting reasonable and fiscally responsible boundaries for refunds and exchanges.
- Returns are made within 30 days from the date of purchase.
- Returns are presented along with the original receipt. A refund will be issued in accordance with the form of payment recorded on the receipt or store credit will be issued, taking into account all applicable discounts.
- Payment made by personal check requires a 15-day clearance period before a refund for cash or store credit may be issued.
- A 15% handling fee is applied to items returned without a receipt. Store credit is issued.
- Expired products are accepted for return if they were purchased after the expiration date. A receipt is required for the return of expired products.
- Health and Body returns require a receipt. Opened items may be subject to a 15% handling fee.
- Supplement returns require a receipt. Opened items may be subject to a 15% handling fee.
Returns are made at the discretion of the Customer Service Representative and the Manager on Duty. The East End Food Co-op reserves the right to refuse to issue a refund or process a return.
East End Food Co-op believes that you have the right to know how we choose the products on our shelves. We’ve developed these purchasing guidelines to reflect the core values expressed in our Ends Policy Statement (see above). This guide allows us to make conscious choices that return value to our members, our community, and our planet.
We strive to promote products and methods that are:
- Whole* and minimally processed*
- Certified Organic
- Certified Naturally Grown and/or Biodynamic
- Non-GMO Project Verified/Specified Non-GMO Certified Fair Trade
- Certified Humane
- Minimally packaged or in recyclable &/or returnable containers
- Produced using humane and ecologically sound methods that don’t exploit people, animals, or our environment
We will not knowingly carry products that:
- Contain artificial ingredients, such as colorings, flavorings, preservatives or additives
- Contain known harmful ingredients such as nitrates or nitrites, synthetic chemicals, hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, or MSG
- Contain antibiotics or growth hormones
- Have been tested on animals
*local = within a 250 mile radius of Pittsburgh extending to all of Pennsylvania
*whole = having only one ingredient: itself
*minimally processed = using traditional, low-tech methods of processing or preservation, for example: smoking, roasting, freezing, canning, drying, or fermenting. These techniques do not fundamentally alter or separate whole foods.
The East End Food Co-op strives to uphold its Ends Policy Statement (see above) in regards to sustainability. This applies not only to our policies regarding the buying and selling of goods, but also to our daily operations, our community involvement, and our use of resources. By supporting and building upon a strong local economy, we can ensure not only our own sustainability, but also that of our local partners and our community.
The East End Food Co-op supports local farmers and local distributors that promote sustainable agriculture and encourages its customers and staff to be mindful of the sources of their food.
We offer classes and lectures that educate our community in environmental awareness, whole food preparation, and responsible waste management. We feel that having an educated public as well as an educated staff supports both the health of the East End Food Co-op as an organization as well as the health of the world in which we live.
Through daily practices we encourage waste reduction and recycling, the elimination of petroleum based plastic bags, and the composting of food wastes and materials. We are making efforts everyday to create an environment for our shoppers that will carry on far into the future while still leaving as little a mark on the earth as possible.
- 10 cent discount for each bag customers bring from home
- Classes and workshops on rain barrel usage, composting, recycling and home gardening
- Partnership with Pennsylvania Resources Council and Steel City Composting on a composting program for our store
- 2009 Sustainable Business Leadership Award from Pennsylvania Association of Sustainable Agriculture
- Organization of a Pittsburgh Business Alliance for Local Living Economies
SOCIAL MEDIA CONTEST TERMS & CONDITIONS
- The promoter is: East End Food Co-op whose registered office is at 7516 Mead Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15208.
- Employees of East End Food Co-op or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
- No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable, and are not eligible for return or exchange at the store. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- Winners will be chosen at random from all entries received and verified by Promoter and or its agents.
- The winner will be notified via Facebook within 1 day of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 7 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner.
- Prizes will be collected at the East End Food Co-op, 7516 Meade Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15208. Under no conditions will prizes be mailed to the winner. If the winner is not able to pick up their prize within 7 days of being contacted by the East End Food Co-op, the prize will be considered forfeited.
- The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current US data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.