Our Co-op is in the planning process for identifying and moving forward with one or more new expansion projects in the coming years. We have seen double-digit sales increases over the past few years, and our membership numbers grow steadily year by year (we’re currently 11,000+ members strong). These numbers indicate that our membership is enthusiastic about the products we sell and the work we’re doing.
Though expansion can take many different forms, the ones that seem most viable for our Co-op at this time would be to expand our existing store within our current building, or to move our store into a different, larger retail location, or to open a second store in a different location while retaining our current store in Point Breeze.
If you want to learn more about the process of expansion at your Co-op, check out the resources below. You can also email questions, comments, or concerns to our general manager or board of directors.
EEFC information about expansion:
- Learn more about the stages of expansion from General Manager Justin Pizzella
- Expansion Preparation Timeline – by Vice-President Mike Collura
- Financial Planning for Expansion – by Vice-President Mike Collura
- How Your Co-op is Positioning for Growth – by EEFC Board of Directors
- GM Report on Expansion – by Justin Pizzella
- Growth and Expansion – by President Sarah Aerni
- Journey Toward Expansion – by Vice-President Mike Collura
- EEFC Annual Board of Directors Report from FY 2013-14, including Expansion Site Criteria
- General Manager Justin Pizzella talked about possible expansion opportunities with NEXTpittsburgh in March of 2015
Other articles about expansion in cooperative businesses:
- Assessing Project Feasibility – by Bill Gessner
- “Preparing Our Future” – by Dave Gutknecht
- “Growth Stories and Quandaries” – by Dave Gutknecht
- Healthy Foods Healthy Communities: The Social and Economic Impacts of Food Co-ops