If you are interested in taking your involvement with the East End Food Co-op to the next level, now’s your chance! We are currently seeking candidates for board service whose contributions can help us create and achieve a shared vision for the short- and long-term future of the Co-op. While participation in a cooperative can take many forms, the most direct responsibility falls upon members of the board of directors, a nine-person body of member-owners tasked with representing the membership.
What does the board do?
The board follows a Policy Governance philosophy, which prescribes a clear boundary between governing and managing an organization. Specifically, for the East End Food Co-op, this means that board members do not make decisions about day-to-day store operations. Instead, they focus on broader concerns, specifically:
- Overseeing the general manager
- Financial oversight of the Co-op
- Engagement with and accountability to our member-owners
- Creating a long-term vision for the Co-op
Who is a good candidate for board service?
Dedication to the Co-op and its principles is first and foremost. To be eligible, a candidate must be a fully paid member-owner of the East End Food Co-op. A strong candidate will possess the following qualities:
Excellent communication skills.
- Ability and desire to work closely with other board members as part of a cohesive team.
- Vision for the future and an ability to see present-day decisions in the context of the long-term health of the Co-op.
- Ability to speak openly and independently in group discussions, while also being able to abide by decisions arrived at collectively by the board.
- Good judgment, honesty and courage.
Directors prepare for and attend monthly board meetings, participate in ongoing email discussions, and take the lead in accomplishing various tasks on board committees, which requires a commitment of 10-30 hours a month. A director is elected for a term of three years and there is no limit to the number of terms a director may serve. Please refer to the Candidate’s Packet for additional details about candidate requirements, the application process, and important dates.
How do I declare candidacy?
To apply, complete the “Declaration of Candidacy Form” found in the Candidate’s Packet, which will be available at Customer Service or online at www.eastendfood.coop/board-of-directors. Candidate submissions will be accepted from Saturday, July 1 until Monday, July 31 at 9 PM. Help us keep our Co-op going strong! We hope to see your application for candidacy in July.
Members are always welcome to drop the board a line at firstname.lastname@example.org