Save Money with Special Orders
Most food co-ops began as buying clubs where people gathered together to order cases of good, healthy food at a discount. At the East End Food Co-op. Today Co-op members can special order any product our distributors carry in a case amount. Orders can be placed through Customer Service, either in person, by phone, or using the online form below.
If you know the brand name of an item we do not carry, our buyers will do their best to find it for you. The typical case amount for regular grocery products is 12 items, with a few exceptions. Regularly priced items (that is, those not on sale) will be discounted according to whether you volunteer or not.
- Members save 20% off the regular retail price.
- Volunteers pay only 5% above wholesale cost.
Items that don’t come by the case vary according to product, as far as how larger, “special-order-size” quantities are packaged. Here are some examples:
- Herbs and spices: 1 pound
- Coffee: 5 to 10 pounds
- Oats: 50 pounds
For everything else, from beans to flour, please call Customer Service at 412-242-3598 for more information. If they can’t answer your question, they’ll put you in touch with the buyer who can tell you everything you need to know.
Please note that sale items will only be sold at the sale price, less the 2% discount for members. If you choose to order a case, or bulk quantity, of something at the sale price minus 2%, you’ll need to place the order by the end of the Thursday before the sale ends. Sale dates are posted in the sales fliers, in The Co-operator, and on our website.
Groceries and nonperishable items will be restocked 14 days after they arrive; perishables, which include refrigerated and frozen items as well as meat, will be restocked after 7 days; and produce will be put out onto the store shelves 3-5 days after delivery, depending on the product. For everything you order, Customer Service will call or email when your item comes in, and let you know the restocking date.
How does it work?
- To place an order call 412.242.3598, visit Customer Service, email it online or fax it to (412) 242-7723.
- Customer Service will call you when your order arrives, usually within two weeks.
- Come into the Co-op within two weeks and stop by Customer Service. They will ask for your last name, look up your order and page the stockroom to bring your order to the registers.
East End Food Co-op
7516 Meade Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15208