Debi Johnson, Board Director and Chair of the Board Perpetuation and Elections Committee
As an EEFC member, you are eligible to run for a seat on the Board of Directors!
The Co-op’s Board of Directors is a group of dedicated people elected directly by the membership and is made up of member-owners just like you. Board members work to ensure accountability to cooperative principles while also making sure the Co-op remains a sustainable business; we do this through a system of checks and balances called Policy Governance. Board elections are held annually, and the number of positions available depends on the number of terms expiring that year. As a Co-op board member, you will contribute to the strategic leadership and development that allows us to make the best decisions in service of our member-owners and community.
- There are 10 Directors on the board, one of which is a designated staff-only seat
- Directors may be appointed as officers or as committee chairs
- Each Director is elected for a term of 3 years, except for the staff seat, which is a 1-year term
- There is no limit to the number of terms that a Director may serve, but you must be re-elected
- This year, up to 6 positions are open for election, one being staff-only
The Board’s accountability to membership consists of convening an annual meeting — which provides an opportunity to discuss the findings in our annual report — and keeping an open line of communication with member-owners by hosting monthly board meetings with open sessions. Board members also work toward advancing the Co-op’s vision and ensuring continuity of the Board and the General Manager. To these ends, Board members are expected to attend monthly meetings and participate in committee work. Time commitments are typically around 10-15 hours a month. You will receive a stipend, paid out quarterly, and directors who are not staff will receive 10% off everyday purchases.
In addition to being dedicated to the Co-op and its principles, a good candidate for the Board possesses the following qualities and abilities:
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to commit time and energy to their board work
- Ability and desire to work closely with other Board members as part of a cohesive team
- Vision for the future and an ability to see present-day decisions in the context of the long-term health of the Co-op
- The ability to speak openly and independently in group discussions while also being able to abide by decisions arrived at collectively by the Board
- Places value in the importance of local food systems, social equity, and community impact
- Good judgment, honesty, and courage
Interested candidates should pick up a candidate packet from Customer Service or find it online starting August 1 and submit their answers before the end of day on September 25. Voting will be October 22 through end of day November 27. New board members will be seated on December 14.
Be on the lookout for your current board members tabling in front of the store to help educate and excite member-owners about running for the board. Dates and times will be communicated as they become available.
If serving as a director is more of a commitment than you’d like to make, you might consider serving on a board committee. Please visit our website for committee descriptions or contact the Board at email@example.com for more information.