Chili con Carne
- 1-2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 3 lbs. ground beef or vegan beef crumbles
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium peppers, chopped
- 2 fresh serrano peppers, seeds removed & diced (Keep the seeds in for a spicier chili.)
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin or to taste
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano or to taste
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 ears of local corn kernels cut off
- 2-4 cups beef stock water or vegan substitute
- 1-2 tbsp. of honey
- 2 cups Weatherbury Farms black turtle beans
- Cornstarch Optional
- Optional Toppings: sour cream or vegan substitute, chopped green onions, fresh cilantro and lime wedges
Wash beans and drain. Cover with cold water. Discard floaters and soak 4 to 8 hours in cool place. Drain. Add 6 cups of fresh water. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer until soft, 1½ hours.
Heat olive oil in large cast-iron Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, breaking up with a spoon. Cook until done; drain off fat and discard.
Add the garlic and onion and continue to cook until they are translucent.
Add the peppers and chilis, and then stir in the spices: cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, pepper until all the ingredients are well coated.
Add the honey, freshly chopped tomatoes and beef broth.
When the stew begins to reach a slight boil, reduce the heat to simmer and add the black turtle beans. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
To thicken the chili, mix equal parts cornstarch with water, and then add to chili, stirring slowly until desired consistency is reached.
Serve with your favorite toppings!