Here are some tips to help you recycle it right:
- Clean material is a resource and dirty material is garbage. Items in your recycling bin should be empty, clean, and dry.
- Lids: remove from glass containers, screw on tightly to plastic, and only include tin can lids if they are still attached to a can.
- Flimsy plastic items (clamshells, plastic cups, some plastic bottles, plastic wrap) can’t be recycled.
- Keep items in your recycling bin loose. Plastic bags can’t go through processing equipment. Bagged recycling is as good as garbage.
- When in doubt, throw it out! Recycling contaminated by food or non-recyclable items will end up in the landfill.
- Take hard-to-recyle items to the appropriate place, don’t toss them in with curbside recyling. Find a list of local resources on our website www.eastendfood.coop/sustainabilty