Smudging is the act of burning special healing herbs as part of a cleansing ritual to clear energies, air or a physical space. It’s very easy to make your own smudge stick-here’s how to do it!
- Dried roses, lavender or any other flower that dries well
- Roughly 15 sprigs of dried herbs like rosemary, cedar, sweet grass and sage
- All natural fiber twine
- Start by trimming your flowers and herbs to size, about 4-6 inches.
- Arrange them in a bundle and begin wrapping the string around them. Wrap tightly at the bottom but as you move upwards you won’t need as much string.
- When you reach the top, tie your twine securely and trim the excess. Trim off any herbs that happen to be sticking out of the bundle.
- Set your smudge stick aside and allow it to dry for at least two weeks.
How to smudge your Home
You will Need:
- Smudge Stick
- Fireproof container such as a smuging bowl or abalone shell
- Create a sense of ceremony when you smudge your house and allow yourself at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place ismudge stick on the smudging bowl or shell and light the bundle by holding a flame to it until it begins to smoke.
- Starting at the Eastern most room of your home, circle around the room clockwise, wafting the smoke as you go. Continue moving in a clockwise direction through the rest of your home, purifying each room.
- When you have smudged all areas of your house, return to the starting point and gently extinguish your smudge stick by pressing it into the shell or runnning it under water.
- You can bury the remaining smudge in your garden to really feel the completeness of the cleansing ritual. You can reuse the same smudge stick until there is nothing left to burn. Ideally, you should use a new smudge for each cleansing.