The East End Food Co-op, Pittsburgh Food Policy Council, Pasa Sustainable Agriculture, and Grow Pittsburgh are pleased to share the following virtual farm tours from the 4th annual Pittsburgh Urban Farm Tour in celebration of Pennsylvania’s Urban Ag Week (July 20-26).
Each tour includes one or two featured urban agriculture programs or projects, a pre-recorded visit to an area farm, and a moderated Q&A session. Viewers can anticipate learning about unique urban farms in the Pittsburgh area. Links to each recordings and the featured organizations are included below:
- Opening remarks: PA Secretary of Agriculture, Russell Redding
- Community partner: Hilltop Urban Farm, Ned Brockmeyer
- Farm Tour: Sol Patch Garden, Collette Walsh
- Community partner: Community Garden Sustainability Fund, Alyssa Kail
- Community partner: Pittsburgh Master Composter Program, Russ Thorsen
- Farm Tour: Duquesne Community Victory Garden, Scott Fisher
- Community partner: Adopt-A-Lot Program, City of Pittsburgh, Shelly Danko+Day
- Community partner: Soil Sisters, Raynise and Taray Kelly
- Farm tour: Mwanakuche Community Garden, Abdulkadir Chirambo
The usual tour budget (typically allocated to promotion and event support) has, instead, been contributed to the Pittsburgh Urban Growers Scholarship Fund, which is designed to increase access to professional development opportunities for urban growers in Allegheny County. The East End Food Co-op is taking donations all month through the Register Round Up Program. If you are local to Pittsburgh, you can shop at the Co-op this month and round up your total to the nearest dollar at checkout to be donated to the Scholarship Fund as well. Also, for every seed packet sold at the Co-op all year, 25 cents is donated to the Scholarship Fund.
Thanks for your interest in urban agriculture and your support for these important projects!
Pittsburgh Urban Farm Tour Planning Committee
Kate Safin, East End Food Co-op
Karlin Lamberto, Pittsburgh Food Policy Council
Alyssa Kail, Grow Pittsburgh
Dan Dalton, Pasa Sustainable Agriculture