In the midst of COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) the East End Food Co-op remains committed to serving our community with fresh, healthy food in a safe, clean, and stress-free environment. Our staff are working every day to ensure we can continue to meet the needs of our community in these difficult times. We have had to make many changes in operations in response to this unprecedented event, and we want to ensure our members and shoppers have the information they need. A summary of operational changes and links to our weekly store updates are below. To receive our updates via email, please subscribe here. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Open Daily 8 AM to 8 PM
We are enforcing a 20 person limit within the store throughout the day to ensure everyone can maintain safe social distance while shopping. Please be prepared for the possibility that you will be asked to wait outside for several minutes while we observe this limit.
- Reusable Shopping Bags are permitted, however: Customers may not shop into their bags
- Reusable Containers are permitted in bulk foods. Containers must be clean. Does not include beverage containers. (effective 10/13/2020)
- Returnable Containers
- We are still accepting Brunton’s glass milk bottles and Tyler Mountain spring water containers, but our staff will not handle them.
- Customers may show their Tyler Mountain Spring water container to our staff for a tag and are asked to return the empty containers to the shelf themselves.
- Glass milk bottles are to be cleaned prior to returning them to the Co-op. Customers may place empty milk bottles directly into our return milk crate at Customer Service.
- Do not shop into your own bags.
- No Rain Checks – Due to frequent out of stocks and the unpredictable nature of our deliveries, we cannot offer rain checks for products that are not on our shelves.
- No holds – We are not able to place holds on any products at this time.
- Masks are Required – By order of the Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, all shoppers wishing to enter the East End Food Co-op must wear a mask. All staff members are also required to wear face masks. Children under age 2 and those who cannot wear a mask due to a medical condition are exempt from this requirement. This mandate is coming from the PA State Health Department; we are upholding this order as an essential business open during COVID-19. A list of acceptable face coverings and instructions on how to make your own face mask are available from the CDC. (effective April 16, 2020)
- Special Orders – There is a 2 case/bag limit per member. Members may place additional orders once they have picked up their order. We cannot honor sale prices if items do not come in during the sale period. We cannot accept special orders for flour, canned tomatoes, or paper products (toilet paper, paper towels, facial tissue, etc.).
- Return Policy – we are resuming our pre-COVID return policy. (effective 10/13/2020)
- In accordance with orders by Governor Tom Wolf for all restaurants to suspend dine-in eating, our Café hot bar, soup and salad bar remain closed. Our café seating area is also closed. (effective March 16, 2020)
- Many of your favorite Co-op Café soups, entrees, and sides are available in our grab-and-go cooler.
- Our juice, smoothie, and coffee counter remain open.
- We are not accepting reusable drink containers from customers at this time.
- We’re partnered with mercato so you can shop for your favorite East End Food Co-op products online for in-store pickup or local delivery. Our delivery radius is about 16 miles from the store. Minimum purchase for online ordering is $25.
- Please select “choose the best replacements” option when you check out. This will help us move quickly through orders and open more spots for other shoppers.
Contact-free Curbside Grocery Pick Up
- Details about curbside shopping are available here.
Co-op Community Events
- We are following the guidelines established by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Allegheny County to limit gatherings and follow appropriate social distancing. All Co-op events for the foreseeable future are cancelled.
Enhanced Store Cleaning
- East End Food Co-op has ramped up our cleaning and sanitizing routine to help reduce the risk of spreading the illness to our staff and to our members and shoppers.
- Common touch points throughout the store are sanitized hourly. This includes cooler handles, bulk bin scoops, pin pads, equipment buttons, scales, and much more.
- Our carts, shopping baskets, and checkout lanes are cleaned continuously throughout the day.
- Each cashier station has cleaning solutions and gloves for staff to wear.
- Sanitizing stations are available on the sales floor for customers to use when shopping. Gloves for shoppers are available at Customer Service.
- Staff are given breaks for hand washing and are reminded to wash their hands at least each hour.
- Each cart and basket is cleaned between use. Please do not take carts from our cart returns in the parking lot. Clean carts are available outside the store door and are marked. Do not return used carts to this area. (added April 17, 2020)
How you can help
- Stay home if you are feeling unwell or exhibiting any of the symptoms of COVID-19.
- Wash your hands regularly and follow proper cough and sneeze etiquette.
- Please shop only for the things you need and touch only products you intend to buy.
- Maintain 6 feet of social distance (the length of two shopping carts) from fellow shoppers and our staff members.
- Please step away from our Café counter while you are waiting for your beverage.
- Please be prompt with your shopping trips and do not linger in the store.
- Do not shop in groups.
- Visit only once a week or every other week.
- Be kind to staff and fellow shoppers.
Links to Weekly Announcements & Updates
- Bulk Update: Reusable Containers Welcome 10/13/2020
- COVID-19 Update 9/30/2020
- Green Phase Information 6/6/2020
- Store Update 4/17/2020
- Policy Reminder: No Returns 4/13/2020
- Special Order Update for Members 4/9/2020
- Store Update 3/26/2020
- Store Update 3/18/2020
- A message regarding coronavirus 3/14/2020
Our heartfelt thanks goes out to everyone for their continued support and patience as we adapt our business operations to best serve our staff and our community!