In the midst of COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) the East End Food Co-op remains committed to serving our community with fresh, healthy food in a safe, clean, and stress-free environment. Our staff are working every day to ensure we can continue to meet the needs of our community in these difficult times. We have had to make many changes in operations in response to this unprecedented event, and we want to ensure our members and shoppers have the information they need. A summary of operational changes and links to our weekly store updates are below. To receive our updates via email, please subscribe here. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Open Daily 8 AM to 8 PM
We are enforcing a 20 person limit within the store throughout the day to ensure everyone can maintain safe social distance while shopping. Please be prepared for the possibility that you will be asked to wait outside for several minutes while we observe this limit.
- Reusable Shopping Bags are permitted, however: Customers may not shop into their bags
- Reusable Containers are permitted in bulk foods. Containers must be clean. Does not include beverage containers. (effective 10/13/2020)
- Returnable Containers
- We are still accepting Brunton’s glass milk bottles and Tyler Mountain spring water containers.
- Customers may show their Tyler Mountain Spring water container to our staff for a tag and are asked to return the empty containers to the shelf themselves.
- Glass milk bottles are to be cleaned prior to returning them to the Co-op. Customers may place empty milk bottles directly into our return milk crate at Customer Service.
- Do not shop into your own bags.
- No Rain Checks – Due to frequent out of stocks and the unpredictable nature of our deliveries, we cannot offer rain checks for products that are not on our shelves.
- No holds – We are not able to place holds on any products at this time.
- Universal Face Covering Order – We ask that all unvaccinated shoppers please wear a face covering while in the store. Those who are vaccinated are still strongly encouraged to wear a mask. Masks are available upon request. (effective 6/28/2021)
- Return Policy – we are resuming our pre-COVID return policy. (effective 10/13/2020)
- Our café seating area is closed. (effective March 16, 2020)
- Many of your favorite Co-op Café soups, entrees, and sides are available in our grab-and-go cooler.
- Our juice, smoothie, and coffee counter remain open.
- We are not accepting reusable drink containers from customers at this time.
- We’re partnered with mercato so you can shop for your favorite East End Food Co-op products online for in-store pickup or local delivery. Our delivery radius is about 16 miles from the store. Minimum purchase for online ordering is $25.
- Please select “choose the best replacements” option when you check out. This will help us move quickly through orders and open more spots for other shoppers.
Contact-free Curbside Grocery Pick Up
Co-op Community Events
- We are following the guidelines established by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Allegheny County to limit gatherings and follow appropriate social distancing. All Co-op events for the foreseeable future are cancelled.
Enhanced Store Cleaning
- East End Food Co-op has ramped up our cleaning and sanitizing routine to help reduce the risk of spreading the illness to our staff and to our members and shoppers.
- Common touch points throughout the store are sanitized regularly. This includes cooler handles, bulk bin scoops, pin pads, equipment buttons, scales, and much more.
- Our carts, shopping baskets, and checkout lanes are cleaned continuously throughout the day.
- Each cashier station has cleaning solutions and gloves for staff to wear.
- Sanitizing stations are available on the sales floor for customers to use when shopping. Gloves for shoppers are available at Customer Service.
- Staff are given breaks for hand washing and are reminded to wash their hands at least each hour.
How you can help
- Stay home if you are feeling unwell or exhibiting any of the symptoms of COVID-19.
- Wash your hands regularly and follow proper cough and sneeze etiquette.
- Please shop only for the things you need and touch only products you intend to buy.
- Maintain 6 feet of social distance (the length of two shopping carts) from fellow shoppers and our staff members.
- Please step away from our Café counter while you are waiting for your beverage.
- Please be prompt with your shopping trips and do not linger in the store.
- Do not shop in groups.
- Visit only once a week or every other week.
- Be kind to staff and fellow shoppers.
Links to Weekly Announcements & Updates
Our heartfelt thanks goes out to everyone for their continued support and patience as we adapt our business operations to best serve our staff and our community!