Yes, it’s true, your Co-op is joining the growing number of retailers who offer e-receipts. We believe that this members-only option will benefit you both as a consumer, and as a shareholder invested in the financial success of your Co-op. e-receipts have benefits for the environment as well!
e-receipts benefit the consumer:
- A receipt in a digital format lasts. It won’t tear, crumble, or crease
- e-receipts are less likely to get lost in the ways paper receipts are known to go missing from your pocket, wallet, or home
- e-receipts provide a digital trail of your purchases that could be advantageous in the instance of a return or dispute
- The increased use of E-receipts will result in faster-moving lines at the registers since fewer shoppers will be waiting for their receipt to print
e-receipts benefit for the Co-op:
- The use of less receipt paper will save us money. (The Co-op is currently spending approximately $700 annually on receipt paper!)
- Printing fewer receipts will lower the maintenance requirements on our registers
- Members will be happier, as many have requested this change.
e-receipts benefit the environment:
- It takes approximately 15 trees to produce a single ton of paper, which means the use of paper receipts requires 9.6 million trees each year in the U.S.
- Approximately 2,300 pounds of trash are produced while making a single ton of receipt paper
- The amount of CO2 emitted in the production of one ton of receipt paper is equivalent to the amount of exhaust emitted from a car over the course of an entire year
What else you should know:
- The option to sign up for e-receipts is a member-only benefit
- Regardless of the number of household members included on your membership, only one email address per membership may be assigned as the recipient of e-receipts
- Your first e-receipt will likely be the activation of your quarterly member benefit.
- If you make purchases throughout the day in multiple transactions, you will receive a separate email for each transaction
- You may still request a printed copy of your receipt when making your purchase at the store
- Your privacy will not be compromised: your Co-op will only use your email addresses for this specific business purpose and offers the assurance that we will not sell or trade membership data with outside organizations
- If you decide at any time that you wish to stop receiving e-receipts, please contact our Member Database Specialist at 412-242-3598 x138, leave a note at Customer Service with your name and membership number, or email your information and request to email@example.com
If you’re interested in decreasing your carbon footprint while simultaneously bettering your Co-op economically, then consider signing up! There are forms available at Customer Service that you may fill out anytime.