Kale Winter Salad
- 1 lb. of kale center ribs and stems removed, leaves thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup green cabbage shredded
- ½ cup raw beets shredded
- 1 ⁄4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1 orange segmented
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 ⁄3 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheeses plus some bigger shavings to top the salad with
- Juice of 2-3 lemons
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- 1 ⁄4 cup lightly toasted pecans, walnuts or almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large mixing bowl combine the kale with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Massage it with your hands for 1 - 2 minutes or until the kale is bright green and pliable.
Add in the cabbage, beets, green onions and parsley and toss well. Next add in the orange segments and pomegranate seeds.
In a small bowl whisk together the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup or honey, salt and pepper to taste.
Then drizzle the dressing over the salad. Top with grated Parmesan and nuts.